RE: MD Intellectually Nowhere

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 13:22:41 BST

    Speaking of asinine:

    > dmb says:
    > I disagree. Consider our court appointed President. He seemed perfectly
    > happy to disregard the wishes of the voters in Florida and at the UN.

    Independent recounts of the votes show Bush won Florida. UN votes
    don't make U.S. foreign policy.

    > The administration supported the overthrow of Venezuela's President
    > Chavez, a democratically elected leader, just last year.

    Chavez is currently President of Venezuela.

    > Bush's attorney
    > general, John Ashcroft, tried to shut down the polls in Missouri because
    > he was losing the election to a dead man.

    The polls stayed open illegally.

    > The Republicans in Texas, with
    > support from the White House, are trying to overthrow the court's
    > redistricting plan in favor of one that will lock the Democrats out.

    Texas Democrat legislators boarded buses and went to another state in
    order to block the majority will of the state legislature.

    > And
    > the Republicans in California began a recall drive against that state's
    > Governor a month after they lost that election.

    California's Constitution allows for a recall of the Governor.
    Californians favor the recall 3 to 1.

    > Its easy to see an anti-democratic streak in America's conservatives.
    > Its a mile wide. Words like "liberal" and "intellectual" have become
    > terms of abuse in this country. People who disagee with pre-emtive wars
    > based on false intelligence are called "traitors" and "America haters".

    Liberals call conservatives racists, sexists, homophobes, bigots,
    religious zealots, insensitive, divisive, stupid and right-wing cranks
    among other abusive names. Liberals can dish it out, but can't take it.

    > I don't what's going on in Norway these days, but this moment, the
    USA
    > is about half an inch away from fascism.

    Absurd to the point of insanity.

    > They talk about democracy and
    > freedom, but their deeds speak much louder. And it is certainly no
    > accident that it is the right-wing cranks around here who most often
    > wish to blurr the lines between social and intellectual values, cause
    > that's what this political dispute is really all about. Its not just a
    > matter of who wins elections. The issue is whether evolution is going to
    > be arrested or reversed.

    "It's not just a matter of who wins elections." Spoken like true
    fascist or communist.

    Platt