RE: MD Chance and natural selection

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 20:25:13 BST

    Jonathan, Scott, Steve,

    I had already responded to Scott before noticing this thread had developed
    thanks to Jonathan's defence on this busy Sunday.

    Obviously I agree evolution and Darwinism are not literally the same thing -
    the latter being a subset of the former. But I do believe the essence of
    (neo-)Darwinism is a good metaphor for pretty well all progress in the world
    (genetic or memetic) - enough to stop me looking for some transcendent
    source of "purpose" or "direction".

    Yes, chance is massively at work in the world, but it's not the chance, it's
    the selection that tends towards "betterness" as Jonathan said, or "fitness"
    as I said. (Quality if you like.)

    Steve, you said ...
    the MOQ says that evolution aims for quality.

    Ian says ...
    "aims" is metaphorical
    Neither MOQ nor Evolution can aim for anything literally.

    Ian