Re: MD Chance and natural selection

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 16:00:42 BST

    Hi Ian, Jonathan,

    > Yes, chance is massively at work in the world...

    Randomness is a Platypus in SOM. The MOQ has a place for it only as an
    intellectual pattern of value that presupposes an observer to infer a
    pattern or the lack of one. It would be an oxymoron to call randomness an
    inorganic pattern since randomness means the lack of a pattern so I don't
    think you can say chance is "at work in the world."

    > Steve, you said ...
    > the MOQ says that evolution aims for quality.
    >
    > Ian says ...
    > "aims" is metaphorical
    > Neither MOQ nor Evolution can aim for anything literally.

    Steve:
    That goes without saying. The point is that Darwinian materialists object
    to such metaphors and insist that to understand evolution we must see it as
    without purpose, without value, without meaning, and by chance.

    Thanks,
    Steve