RE: MD A metaphysics - Bootstrapping

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 23:54:08 BST

    Platt,

    All you've done is provide me with another quote from a book with which I'm
    already very familiar.
    Where was the value-add in that ? (Pragmatist alert !)

    I think this is just a matter of perspective.
    I think everything he wrote (in ZMM) suggests he is a pragmatist,
    pragmatically speaking anyway. Much of Lila seems to be a response to
    "serious (philosophical) critics" that he hadn't argued his case
    sufficiently objectively to their philosophological satisfaction. More's the
    pity.

    His "critique" of pragmatism in fact suggests his MoQ adds something missing
    from pragmatism as it existed before. Pragmatism wasn't perferct, but MoQ
    made it better, if you like.

    The classification of MoQ as a "useful tool" is mine not his. In my feeble
    attempts at being a philosopher rather than a mere philosophologist I do
    feel the need for the occasional original idea.

    Anyway, you've successfully deflected my thread from the main point which
    was not whether or not Pirsig was a pragmatist (clearly only ever a matter
    of opinion). My point (to David) was about wasting effort on definitions and
    dialectical arguments, (in inappropriate situations).

    Ian