Re: MD Chance and natural selection

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 20:06:54 BST

    Scott, Steve, and anyone else interested,

    I want to give an answer to Scott's post on Darwin and Consciousness, but I fear
    I am too stupid. Maybe I am just a materialist. I still don't know what this
    means. Although, I am deathly afraid of this ambiguous term. It is being slung
    around as an insult. As if only ignoramuses would be materialists and I don't
    want to be an ignoramus. But I don't know how to stop being a materialist
    because I don't know what it means to be one. I am reminded of the day I
    realized "liberal" was an accusation. At least I knew I was a liberal. I
    agreed with conservatives that communism was not a good thing. I even enjoyed
    all the perquisites that came with being a member of a society that benefited
    from free markets. I just wanted to make the world a better place. Then
    everyone starts saying I am just being a "liberal." As if this is a bad thing.
     So I have to go through this long process, along with all the rest of us
    "liberals", trying to come to grips with this new negative connotation of the
    word "liberal."
    But, now I fear I am a materialist. And this is also a bad thing. Is it going
    to be another fifteen more years of self-analysis? Am I going to have to defend
    why I am not a materialist. And then say, well I geuss I am a materialist, but
    this is really not such a bad thing. Or maybe I will join the anti-materialists
    and start condemning all the remaining materialists. "Come on you whackers,
    pull you fricken heads out of your arses. Enough with your materialist B.S. We
    don't do that anymore!"

    I guess I will just have to wait and see how it all plays out and in the
    meantime see if I can get my mind wrapped around how this word is being used.

    Scott said: I would also ask, why is an explanation that avoids purpose better
    than one that doesn't? Other than, of course, a prior commitment to a mindless
    materialism. Purpose obviously exists.

    Andy: Well, purpose doesn't obviously exist to me. But right now I am still
    under the influence of mindless materialism. An explanation that avoids purpose
    is better if it can explain better. I think some Darwinian ideas explain some
    things better than other ideas out there-such as creationism. Does this mean
    these Darwin ideas explain everything? Nobody asserts such a thing.

    Scott: Matter (which I would define as that which the senses can perceive)
    doesn't obviously exist outside the mind, or rather, it "obviously" (naively)
    exists, but analysis raises doubts. What we perceive is produced in the act of
    perception: we see trees, not photons. So why do materialists try to provide an
    explanation of how perception works in terms of what perception produces?.

    Andy: If I only knew what you meant when you say materialists. Are these any
    individuals who acknowledge the contributions of Darwin to evolutionary
    sciences? To biology? I think there have been many attempts at explaining how
    perception works and all of them leave something wanting. There is a mystery
    there. But mystery doesn't necessarily mean we will never find a satisfactory
    explanation. An explanation helping us navigate through the world. We don't
    need to assign every unanswered question or mystery under the heading of
    mysticism. I know this is not what you are implying, but your arguments so far
    remain a mystery to me.

    Scott: Here's the argument (taken from a Jan. 10 post):
    Consciousness, or even sentience, *cannot* evolve out of non-consciousness. To
    see the problem, take the normally accepted view of how visual perception works:
    light bounces off an object, stimulates the rods and cones in the eye, which
    stimulate nerve cells, and (much complexity later) we say "I see the tree". The
    materialist is forced to conclude that all that nerve cell agitation is the
    seeing of a tree. But this is impossible, if one assumes that space and time are
    the context in which all that is necessary to explain perception occurs.

    Andy: I wouldn't make that assumption. I am unsure of how to go about
    explaining perception. We look for patterns in the world around us. Our
    evolutionary history has programmed which patterns we should pay particular
    attention to. Subatomic particles (electrons and protons) are theorized for
    explaining things we see in the world around us, such as trees. We further
    theorize properties for these particles. But matching these properties with
    something as complex as perception can be tricky business indeed. Perhaps, we
    need to look at perception differently - from another angle.

    Scott: To see this, ask how the excitation of one electron being hit by one
    photon can have any *connection* to any other electron that is being, or has
    been hit by another photon. For this to happen a signal must pass from the first
    to the second, but that signal cannot carry any additional information than that
    of a single photon. So unless we assume an electron has memory, and can
    distinguish between one photon and another, there can be no greater experience
    than that which an electron experiences on absorbing a photon (or any other
    single interaction it can undergo, like being annihilated by a positron.).

    Andy: Yes-tricky business. Here is the problem. The whole is greater than the
    sum of the parts. And, we cannot directly perceive electrons and protons
    because they are only theorized. But, in the world of what we do observe and
    perceive directly we do see cases where the sum of the parts does not explain
    the whole. In complexity theory these are often termed holarchies. One theory
    explaining this phenomenon does use *connections* and the relationships between
    parts for explaining this. And this has produced remarkable results in the
    studies of neurology, brain science, ecosystems, economies, traffic system,
    electric grids, computer science, the cognitive science and so on.

    Scott: This argumentation applies at whatever level of granularity one tries to
    think it through. One nerve cell excites others. But unless the nerve cell
    itself has memory and is sentient, it cannot make distinctions or note
    similarity. But how can it if it has parts (separated in space). One or more of
    these parts must be responsible for holding a piece of the memory, but then that
    piece has to be combined with others....

    Andy: The relationships between nerve cells. Graph theory and network theory
    in mathematics offer plausible explanations.

    Scott: There is one out, and that is depending on quantum non-locality. But
    note that doing so says that reality is fundamentally non-spatio-temporal, that
    *all* spatio-temporal experience arises out of eternity. So teleology just means
    causation in a different temporal direction, and Darwinism becomes irrelevant.

    Andy: You definitely lost me here. How did we go from perception to wondering
    about the nature of reality. This is why we should be following Rorty and
    looking for useful theories that enable us to cope instead of explaining the
    fundamental nature of reality. You know-looking for that all encompassing
    theory that explains what it is really like "out there." This theory doesn't
    exist. And if it did it would do nothing for us in enabling us to cope. It
    would be a useless theory. Other than providing the weak-minded with a sense of
    comfort.

    Scott: I've been considering whether an appeal to fields (e.g., the
    electromagnetic field) could provide another out. I don't see it. For one thing,
    fields are just mathematical models to describe the results of action at a
    distance. That is, there is action at a distance, and that is basically saying
    that space and/or time is transcended. So if we say these fields are real in
    themselves, and that perhaps consciousness is a very complicated nexus of
    fields, well, aren't we saying that fields transcend space and time?

    Andy: Fields were a useful theory in physics in the 19th century. It was a
    theory to help explain the movements of large objects in frictionless space.
    Calculus is based on the mathematics of fields. They explain some phenomena
    well and are useless for explaining other things we see around us. Thus fields
    are not really relevant to modern physics.

    Scott: The question, then, is this still materialism, or are the goal posts
    being moved?

    Andy: Uh-oh, materialism again. I don't know the answer to this question. What
    would be the result of either option?

    Scott: In any case, we would be saying that the electromagnetic field arising
    from one moving electron has to be conscious. Otherwise, adding and combining
    fields together won't add up to qualia.

    Andy: Consciousness is not the only thing physics and scientific theory has not
    adequately explained. You can use the same reasoning to argue why all of
    science is wrong because none of it gives an adequate explanation of movement or
    causation. Mysteries. I am all-right with mystery and uncertainty. We need
    useful theories. Not all encompassing theories that explain everything.
    Theories that help us get from here to there. Is there purpose in this. Yes,
    we have local and immediate goals but I am not sure it is very useful to think
    that the purpose of the universe is to achieve consciousness (however, you may
    define that) or intelligence or complexity...

    Scott: It (my argument) is that spacetime separation means that there can be no
    larger awareness than that of the smallest unit of matter or signal one knows about.

    Andy: and then we can spend a lot of time defining awareness and spacetime. I
    am unsure what you are really implying here and how it makes Darwin implausible.
     I think awareness or consciousness exists in the connections between objects.
    Or it exists in the type of program or computation which we are running.
    Natural selection chooses better programs. Organisms have a will to power.
    Individuals search for patterns in the chaos and try and organize them. Through
    the evolutionary process we have gained a history which informs of quality in
    these patterns. These are all just theories. I use them to cope. I pull out a
    different one when I need a new explanation for something I am unsure about.

    And Steve Said:
    Randomness is a Platypus in SOM. The MOQ has a place for it only as an
    intellectual pattern of value that presupposes an observer to infer a pattern or
    the lack of one. It would be an oxymoron to call randomness an inorganic pattern
    since randomness means the lack of a pattern so I don't think you can say chance
    is "at work in the world."

    Andy: Randomness does not mean lack of a pattern, it means lack of a
    recognizable pattern. I challenge you to find anyone who has found a precise
    meaning of random. Who can look at any pattern and say whether it is random or
    not. Whether a pattern exists or not with any certainty. It depends on how a
    pattern is perceived. So, is randomness a feature of what is being perceived or
    what is doing the perceiving? This is not relevant to chance at work in the
    world, at least not obviously, but I think it is something you should consider
    when arguing against Darwinism. Organizing patterns out of chaos, this, it
    seems to me is the essence of natural selection. How this organizing is being
    done is another matter.

    Thanks

    Andy

    A true war story is never moral. It does not instruct, nor encourage virtue,
    nor suggest models of proper human behavior, nor restrain men from doing the
    things they have always done. If a story seems moral, do not believe it. If at
    the end of a war story you feel uplifted, or if you feel that some small bit of
    rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, then you have been the victim
    of a very old and terrible lie.

                                                                     --Tim O'Brien

    MD Queries -