Re: MD Intersubjective agreement

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 21:20:11 BST

    Paul,

    Matt said:
    I think you are misinterpreting me. I don't think its a big step to see "that the attraction can be understood as a form of aesthetic," either. What I object to in the phrase "pre-intellectual sense of quality" is the "pre-". I think that leads to an appearance/reality distinction. I think our "intuitive," aesthetic sense of the quality of propositions is gained over and against the intellectual patterns we've already formed. If you don't have any, you won't have an intellectual sense of quality. So, I do think we have an intellectual sense of quality, just not a pre-intellectual one that applies to intellectual patterns.

    Paul said:
    The best way I can describe it is as a relationship between Dynamic Quality and static intellectual patterns. By "pre-" I'm simply referring to the Dynamic aesthetic aspect; the aspect that doesn't come from existing patterns; the intuitive evaluation that leads to novel patterns. You see what I'm saying? It's more down-to-earth than I'm probably making it seem.

    Matt:
    I see what you are saying, however, you are still saying something that I am reticent to say. You say, "the aspect that doesn't come from existing patterns". I don't want to say that and I don't think we need to and still retain the capacity to create novel patterns. I agree with Johnny that its patterns all the way down, and that novelty is the mixing of patterns in new ways. (Johnny, however, denies that Dynamic Quality exists, and I think this is a mistake because I think it leads him to say that real novelty doesn't exist.) I think the only place we can get our ideas, our intuitions, our Dynamic, aesthetic evaluations are from static patterns, those analogues built on analogues that we inherit from our predecessors. Novelty is the taking of those inherited analogues and making some new analogies. You are still using the old, but you are creating something completely new. That's what I mean by "over and against other patterns we've already formed".

    Matt