Re: MD liberals, conservatives & suffering

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 04:09:46 BST

    Jim,

    No, Barfield's 'participation' is not equivalent to 'attitude'. The word comes from classical and medieval philosophy, and referred to a commonality between the human and the world that allowed the former to know the latter, so the relation between them was seen in the middle ages as one of microcosm and macrocosm. Barfield's thesis (based mainly on changes in word meanings, anthropology, etc.) is that in earler times that commonality was experienced as a spiritual aspect of the world, a stage of consciousness he calls "original participation". Gradually, as intellect developed, this experienced spirituality lessened, and finally died out completely by around 1500 AD, and so now instead of describing our relation to the world as microcosm/macrocosm, we describe it as subject/object. However, according to Barfield, participation has not ceased to exist. Rather, we have lost conscious awareness of it. "Final participation" will come about when we regain conscious awareness of it, but without losing our intellect.

    - Scott