Re: MD A metaphysics

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 04:10:36 BST

    Matt,

    Well, I haven't seen how Davidson uses 'metaphor', but I don't think it is
    one, and I don't think it fits on either side of a literal/metaphorical
    division. In any case, "Emptiness is not other..." comes from the Heart
    Sutra, so it actually has been a part of a community for about 2000 years (a
    subset of Buddhist philosopher/practitioners). If it ever did become
    intelligible, it would lose its usefulness.

    So, you may be asking, how does that community find it useful. Aside from
    practice (meditating on it), it also is a vital piece of a philosophical
    approach that is neither Philosophy nor philosophy, as Rorty defines them in
    the intro to "Consequences of Pragmatism". Being neither, of course it will
    not be attractive to either camp. Nevertheless, I figure it is worth laying
    it out, since, though Rorty would probably see it as Philosophy, none of his
    pragmatic objections apply to it, though his secular ones would.

    The (subset of) Buddhist philosophy holds that there are two truths, the
    conventional and the absolute. The conventional defnition of truth is
    identical to the pragmatic one, as the name implies. It's all language
    games, or narratives, or however you want to put it. However, what one
    cannot do at the conventional level is say anything that corresponds to the
    reality of the absolute level, except note its existence (with 'existence'
    X-ed out, or as the Buddhist tetralemma puts it "One cannot say it exists,
    it doesn't exist, it both exists and doesn't exist, it neither exists nor
    doesn't exist"). But, of course, as Rorty puts it, there is a lot of effing
    of the ineffable. The trick is to restrict this effing to statements using
    the logic of contradictory identity. Because they speak of
    self-contradictory identity, they lose their ability to correspond with
    anything. In fact, one can't build a coherent truth out of them either.

    The phrase "The logic of contradictory identity" comes, as I've mentioned,
    from Nishida Kitaro, but I think it is the same as Coleridge's Law of
    Polarity, and of Derrida's differance (though he probably wouldn't approve
    of this use of it). It is also present, though not perhaps as starkly, in
    the Western tradition of negative theology (Pseudo-Dionysius, Scotus
    Erigena, Nicholas of Cusa, others). (Where Hegel fits I'm not sure.) And, as
    I see it, it is the only way to "discuss" the relation between DQ and SQ
    without reifying them. There's more than a tension between them. There is
    contradictory identity.

    Lastly, I'll remark that it is also the only way, in my opinion, to approach
    awareness, which is what my argument that you don't see the problem in is
    getting at. Another version of it is that we are aware of time as successive
    (events following each other) and as durational (something enduring). The
    (strict spatio-temporal) materialist viewpoint can only encompass the
    successive, and can only wave its arms at the durational (or more likely,
    ignore it). Yet without the durational one cannot be aware of the
    successive, and without the successive one cannot be aware of the
    durational. Anyway, my conclusion is that to relate duration and succession
    requires the logic of contradictory identity: though they are opposites,
    they require each other and constitute each other.

    - Scott