RE: MD Pirsig and Peirce

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 22:27:40 BST

    DMB, Matt

    A quick interjection...

    DMB said:
    We can't TALK about anything that isn't already 'inside' a language. OK.
    Sounds like a harmless truism to me. But is that really all Pirsig is
    saying? Paul seems to think its about balancing materialism and
    idealism.

    Paul:
    That's not quite what I'm saying. I would rather say that it's about
    "valuism", which subsumes materialism (inorganic patterns of value) and
    idealism (intellectual patterns of value) as partial explanations of
    different values.

    Matt:
    I'll rehearse briefly the historical dialectic that led to this. (I
    shouldn't have to warn, but I will in case there is any confusion. The
    story I'm about to tell is from the pragmatist's eyes...

    Paul:
    You're right, you shouldn't have to warn anyone before saying anything.
    My comments about "pragmatist misrepresentation" were a bit harsh given
    the length of time you have been around on this forum and the lengths
    you have gone to in explaining your approach to Pirsig. I was just being
    antagonistic, which doesn't really help debate.

    Paul