RE: MD Forked tongue

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 23:13:49 BST

    Sorry Platt, but I just do not see where you get those distinctions you say
    I seem to be making ???
    On each of your points I believe I see exactly the opposite.

    You said
    Subject/Object view.
    Humans apart from the world ?

    I said no such thing.
    On the contrary - I say there is no world to speak of independent of our
    interaction with it, and it with us (in every sense, mental and physical)
    This interaction is the quality we know.

    You said
    betterness is a value judgment that is immediately
    apprehended by direct experience prior to "making sense."
    Recognition of Quality is pre-intellectual

    I say I've seen those phrases before, but I haven't a clue what distinction
    your making.
    I guess your words "direct experience" are analogous to my "interaction"
    above.
    But "immediate", "prior", "pre-" you lose me.

    You said
    denying that the world has no purpose

    I say (I suspect you have an unintended double negative there) I do not deny
    the world a purpose, I just can't imagine what that might mean, nor can I
    see any reason for it to have such a purpose in order to explain anything I
    need to understand about the world - so far anyway. I said "no evidence the
    world needs any transcendental purpose" ie it may or may not have a
    purpose - I can't see what difference it makes, so I doubt (rather than
    deny) there is such a purpose.