MD Metaphysics, reality and values

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 17:40:58 BST

    Hi Bo and all

    In a recent reply to Bo's "Where does it end?" post, I repeatedly used
    the argument that Bo's conclusions were at fault because of the false
    premise that "metaphysics is reality". I wish to try and make my
    argument a little clearer than I did in the reply.

    When you don't distinguish between metaphysics and reality then what is
    at the "rock-bottom" of metaphysics necessarily has to be at the "rock
    bottom" (to use Bo's metaphor) of reality, they are one and the same.
    For example, I believe that whatever it says about the fundamental
    nature of reality, metaphysics is fundamentally a structure of thought.
    So, from the premise of "metaphysics is reality", if the "rock bottom"
    of metaphysics is "thoughts", the "rock bottom" of reality necessarily
    has to be "thoughts" as well.

    (I am aware that "metaphysics is fundamentally a structure of thought"
    begs the question)

    The whole purpose of separating out static and Dynamic reality is to
    block the assumption that thoughts (which are defined as static) and
    reality (which is both static and Dynamic) are one and the same, so by
    equating metaphysics (a structure of thought) with reality, Bo defeats
    the purpose.

    So that's my argument.

    However, on reflection, there is another way to answer Bo's complaints.

    Empirically speaking, experience does not seem to come with a
    pre-packaged set of intellectual explanations. Thinking therefore must
    begin with assumptions from which everything else intellectual can
    crystallize. When we try and say what those assumptions are we enter the
    territory of metaphysics. When you get to the "rock bottom" of these
    assumptions, it can be asked, why these assumptions?
    Historically there have been many answers to this question ranging from
    "the mind of god" to logical necessity and so on. Pirsig's answer to
    "what is the nature and groundstuff of reality?" is "assertions of
    value" and the answer to "why did he make that assumption?" boils down
    to "because he valued it". So, the assumption that "the fundamental
    nature and ground of reality is assertions of value" is itself an
    assertion of value.
    So in the MOQ, "thoughts" are reduced further to static intellectual
    patterns of value where "value" is the "rock bottom" of reality.
    Bo, this gets you out of the "Metaphysics of Assumptions" type absurdity
    but whilst metaphysics is a subset of and ultimately patterns of the
    same ground as the rest of reality, it does not work the other way,
    reality is not a subset of metaphysics.
    Metaphysics does not contain Quality, Quality contains metaphysics.
    My head hurts, fundamentally :-)
    Paul