RE: MD economics of want and greed 4

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 00:12:48 BST

    Wim,

    Maslow may indeed have thought "all behavior is determined", but I have to
    say when I say Maslow I mean the sum of all modern interpretations,
    synthesis and extensions of his output, not an analysis of how misguided his
    original thinking may have been, or whether he really used any credible
    metaphysics of any kind. (This is leading us back to nature / nurture and
    evolutionary psychology again)

    The discreteness of layers, whilst still being dependent, supporting (even
    conflicting) of each other is common to both Pirsig and Maslow I believe.
    Although the level are discrete (in the sense of defining prototypical
    aspects of each), that doesn't mean the boundaries don't get fuzzy
    sometimes, as you move to the interfaces and away from the central
    prototypes

    I used to worry about anthropomorphism too, particularly in the metaphorical
    use of active verbs like the examples you cite. Now however I feel it is
    just human nature to do so in conceptual as well as linguistic metaphors,
    and provided we never forget these are metaphors I think the model is
    workable. (It seems a truism that we can never have anything but a human
    perspective on the world, how ever arrogant our metaphysics gets. Better to
    know this than to ignore it - I say.)

    How do I see the relation between "patterns of value" and "needs" ? To be
    honest I simply see a close parallel between the two frameworks - which
    always leads me to suspect some underlying relation - more human nature to
    suspect / seek rationale. If I were a betting man, I'd say Pirsig was more
    fundamental (Foucault expresses a similar general philosophical framework
    too IMHO), and that Maslow was just an outcome, a corollary or evidence of
    Pirsig's patterns of value at work in the world.

    Ian Glendinning