Re: MD Forked tongue

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 15:26:21 BST

    Hi DM,

    Welcome to the club. You asked:

    > Is it correct to link consciousness with dynamic events and
    > unconsciousness with static patterns?

    I can't find anyplace where Pirsig answers your question directly, but
    my guess is that he would link consciousness to static intellectual
    value patterns and unconsciousness to static biological value patterns.

    As to the nature of consciousness, In Lila's Child, Note 32, Pirsig
    writes:

    "Since the MOQ states that consciousness (i.e. intellectual patterns) .
    . ."

    As to the nature of the unconscious, since its main role is to control
    automatic bodily functions such as breathing, digestion and memory, I'd
    link it to the biological level.

    What Pirsig links to Dynamic Quality is pre-intellectual, direct,
    immediate experience.

    Platt

    "The indefatigable pursuit of an unattainable perfection-even though
    nothing more than the pounding of an old piano -- is what alone gives a
    meaning to our life on this unavailing star."--Logan Pearsall Smith