Re: MD Pirsig and Peirce

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 21:22:21 BST

    Hi Guys

    Can a critical realist join this debate?
    Now being a critical realist I have read all that Rorty stuff
    although I am no physicalist like Rorty. So I get all that stuff
    about the human and language and creative basis of our knowledge.
    Yeah, we can't mirror nature because there is no way of stepping outside
    of our language games and saying yes it corresponds. However I'm still a bit
    of a realist. From my studies of the history of science I feel we some how
    try
    to include 'nature' or 'Being' in our language games. An experiment sets up
    a question
    and we ask nature to answer yes or no and then off we go with the 'results'.
    It is odd stuff because nature does not talk English. However, we insist on
    asking
    nature these questions. That's how experiments work. The answer is something
    like
    Pirsig's comments about the guy sitting on the hot stove. We all jump off
    and that's
    an answer to the question is it hot? if we pose that qustion before sitting
    on the stove.
    All experiment of course ends with a human experience. Schrodinger's cat in
    the box
    experiment closes when a human being opens the box and gets the cat to purr
    and confirm
    it is alive. Physicists, of course, get very screwed up about the need for a
    human to open the
    box to find out which way dynamic quality has taken the quantum experiment.
    The results
    all always dependent on the language based questions we construct, and
    somehow, mysteriously,
    nature plays a role in our language games. However, no corresopondence,
    becuase it all
    depends on the questions you ask. Different questions, different world.

    DM