RE: MD The S/O divide

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 21:22:04 BST

    Jonathan said
    S/O divide is an (intellectual) description of perception AT ALL LEVELS.
    IMHO, what Pirsig has done is to LIBERATE the S/O divide from a metaphysical
    straightjacket .... etc.

    I say
    This is exactly how I feel about Pirsig. No need to throw out the SOM babies
    with the bathwater, 'cos Pirisg has given us a framwork within which their
    true (static/dynamic/interactive) nature can be recognised and used.

    I also say
    It is interesting to note the (real) difficulty in separating the social
    from the intellectual, when the intellectual perception becomes shared
    culturally. I believe I understand the intended distiction between social
    patterns and intellectual patterns, but it is very easy to slip into
    thinking of culturally engrained intellectual patterns as social patterns.
    Also important to recognise static / dynamic as two ends of a continuum -
    just a matter of the timescales over which any change is possible /
    noticable. One of the reasons I find so many roads leading back to
    evolutionary psychology or things of that ilk.

    Ian