Re: Sheldrake (MD economics of want and greed 4)

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:42:56 BST

    Scott,

    After another morning walk with the dog (it is where I do my best thinking--I
    think), I had another thought.

    I asked: "How does Sheldrake avoid this cunumdrum?"

    You answered: "That I don't know, but from what I've understood he doesn't need
    to explain consciousness. Only materialists do, or the whole Darwinist world
    view falls apart."

    Andy: Well, as I admitted before, I am still unsure how you are using this term
    materialist. Two points thoughgh, first: Sheldrake, as I remember (it has been
    a long time), uses his perceptions and experience to explain some things that he
    thought Darwinian theory did a poor job answering. Thus, he proposed these
    fields specific to each specie that they can tap into. However, subsequent
    theorists showed that Darwinian theory answered Sheldrake's examples just fine.
     Now, I am not up to date on Sheldrake and I am sure I got some of this wrong,
    but the point is he was using the products of his perception to analyze his
    perceptions. ANd he proposed a theory. He was using a scientific methodology .

    Second, Darwinian theory does not try and explain consciousness. This is your
    pet project. Now if you are going to use explaining consciousness as your
    criteria for "right" theories, than you are going to have to throw a lot more
    out than Darwin. Newtonian physics, SHeldrake, Einstien's relativity, Quantum
    physics, and all of science as we know it. Darwinian theory explains many
    things and cosciousness is not one of them. It explains the vast diversity of
    life and quite well also. However, it does a litttle "bootstrapping" of its own
    by starting with simple single cell organisms, our common anscestors. Darwin
    theory has nothing to say about how consciousness develops out of the inorganic.
     It doesn't even try. So your attempt at throwing out "the whole Darwinist
    world view" just doesn't make any sense. At least for the reasons you give.

    Thanks again,
    Andy