Re: MD Where things end.

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 17:08:33 BST

    Andy,

    > Ok, I see it's like the absolute, "there are no absolutes," or having no
    > tolerance for intolerance. I am not sure why you think it is insightful
    > to point these contradictions out. They are trivial and really don't
    > point to a hole in someones argument. You may as well tell someone to
    > just give up on discussion altogether. These contradictions are
    > inherent in our language.

    Logic is defined in my introductory philosophy text book as "systematic
    analysis of the correct and incorrect processes of reasoning." Am I to
    conclude from your reply that one can argue irrationally and be taken
    seriously? Are you aware of the principle in logic that no statement
    can be both true and false?

    Oh, I get it. Being a Rorty/Fish fan, you don't believe in either
    principles or truth. :-)

    Platt