RE: MD Joseph Cambell

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 23:58:02 BST

    Hi David,

    Yes, as usual, we seem to talk past each other when we talk about this stuff. Journey and path are both defined precisely in the dictionary (although I haven't checked lately, I'll assume this is true), but the sense in which Jim picked up on comes from some Campbellism. I have read just enough of Campbell to know this is true. But my point with Jim was he did not grasp the whole of what Campbell is saying and thus completely misses the mark in his criticism. There is your analogy between Jim/Campbell and You/Rorty. However you may be right that this terminology of Campbells' is not a slogan and fits better within a MoQ discussion. But, then you miss the point of my complaints. Whatever, lets just forget it... My bad!

    dropping it,
    Andy

    A Time is marked not so much by ideas that are argued about as by ideas that are taken for granted.
                                  Lawrence Lessig