Re: MD Intellectual level - New letter from Pirsig

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 19:42:51 BST

    Hi Wim

    READ THIS IT MIGHT BE QUITE IMPORTANT!

    In a way intellectual patterns are used to try out the
    future prior to actual action. By using symbols/intellectual
    constructions we can try out patterns in theory before
    we go ahead and act. Perhaps the intellectual is all about
    capturing what is possible (the future) in a static form prior
    to actual living so that we can make more intelligent the
    activity of living/action/agency. Although if you are going to
    turn the possible into static intellectual patterns then you
    already have to have a pre-intellectual and pre-articulated
    knowledge/contact/intuition of what the possible/future might
    contain. So how do dogs catch balls so well. Do they calculate it?
    Or do they just chose the possible future in which they do catch the ball.
    If many world theory is right there would be many world where dogs never
    catch the ball. Clearly many worlds is absurd. Maybe agency collapsing
    the wave function that best matches its values is better. Chosing the best
    possible
    future available (on a good day). This would help to explain the achievement
    of the
    cosmos, and the anthropic principle. So that's why this world is why it is!
    Mind you we have not always chosen our futures well since we became
    rational!

    I think this is the most important post I've come up with.
    Who is for who against?

    regards
    David Morey