Re: MD Intellectual level - New letter from Pirsig

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 19:47:08 BST

    Hi

    My point is that choice depends on alternative futures being available.
    I go to my fridge and can eat eggs or ham but not steak because I do
    not have any steak. In this situation (wanting to eat) at least 2 futures
    are
    available the ham sandwich or the egg on toast. It seems to me that being
    human,
    having choice is very much related to this orientation towards the future in
    the context
    of the past, focus on the present is kind of meaningless, it ignores the
    situation (past)
    and the choices (given possibilities/future). The present is defined by past
    and future and otherwise is kind of
    meaningless.

    regards
    David M