Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 21:10:48 BST

    Platt,

    Platt said:
    If I were to ask a dozen people (off campus) which of the two "arguments," Rorty's or Pirsig's, had the most value, I'd bet 11 out of 12 would vote for Pirsig's. Pirsig's theories you can take to the bank, as some on this site have testified. Rorty's theories? Good for what?

    Matt:
    Hey, where's Squonk for this one? I thought you guys didn't think social approval was the test of anything?

    Platt said:
    I notice that not only have you chastised me for being negligent in "reading" your posts, but others as well. (Steve, DMB). Could it be that your writing might be at fault?

    Matt:
    Could be. But, whereas I think all three of you missed my intention (which is only relevant if you are doing biography and attempting to understand what the author was up to, rather than philosophy and only interested in your own axe to grind), at least Steve had relevant things to say about pragmatism.

    Matt