RE: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 19:24:56 BST

    David M and all:

    David MOREY said:
    I see at least a 75% common ground between
    Pirsig and Rorty. One of the main aspects of this
    is that understanding has to begin with practical
    engagement/value. Pirsig is quite clear about this in terms
    of where he located value in his ontology, and so is Rorty in
    calling himself a pragmatist. For Rorty this is taken up from
    Heidegger's phenomenological analysis of human experience....

    dmb says:
    Are you equating "practical engagement" with "value"? Pirsig is quite clear
    about this? Sorry, Dave, I just don't see what you're saying. You'd have to
    be much, much more specific. But you only responded to a little joke. Rather
    than take me down the road from Heidegger to Rorty, I wish you'd take a look
    at the detailed case. I'd tried to show how Pirsig and Rorty clash with some
    level of specificity. Or more directly, I could just ask you a question: How
    do you reconcile Pirsig's mystical metaphysics with Rorty's
    post-metaphysical stance. It seems to me that they conflict on most of the
    central issues, but the centrality of mysiticism poses the biggest problem
    for pragmatists like Rorty.