Re: MD What makes an idea dangerous?

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 22:14:28 GMT

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 27 Oct 2003 09:04:32 -0500 that I seem to believe that social
    values (I translate: social patterns of value) are permanent.
    I don't. What made you think so? I only hold that social and intellectual
    patterns of values change at different paces. Social change is much slower
    than intellectual change.

    What you describe as 'social values holding societies together' (I again
    translate: social patterns of value that constitute societies) are for me
    intellectual patterns of value that motivate people to hold societies
    together (by aligning their actions). I don't think motivated actions are
    all that important in holding societies together. Contrary to Pirsig I don't
    think it's the IDEA of freedom that contributes to holding the USA together,
    but the HABIT of behaving independently and of accepting others as
    'belonging' when they behave independently.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim