Re: MD Measuring values

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 00:43:21 GMT

    Mark is right here.

    We should not be surprised that the basis of values is more mature, bedded down or reified at the lower levels and more speculative, immature or dynamic at the higher. The lower are necessary conditions for the higher (hygiene in Maslow terms), and the the higher couldn't really exist, however fuzzy, if the lower were not relatively stable.

    I've been ploughing through Rorty in the last couple of months and still find Pirsig to be a pragmatist in Rorty terms, but am constantly baffled that Rorty steers clear not only of any absolute values, but even from any useful framework of values like the MoQ.

    Has Rorty ever published comments on Pirsig or the MoQ ?

    (.... other than acknowledging common Chicago / Adler / McKeon / anti-Platonic connection with Pirsig in his Trotsky and the Wild Orchids, which I now find in Philosophy and Social Hope.)

    Ian Glendinning