Re: MD Objectivity, Truth and the MOQ

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 17:18:10 GMT

    Hello Platt,
    I have been giving some thought to your recent posts. I can understand that
    exceptional Quality will receive almost Universal appeal. Let us consider that
    for a moment: The very best in art receives Universal recognition.
    Why should there be such agreement? Why are the top three on your quoted list
    so good?
    This fascinates me.
    However, as you suggest, 'What's more, there are degrees of excellence.' We
    may disagree about those lower down on the list - you have expressed variations
    between your values and those of the author of the list - but those top
    three?

    A thought comes to me Platt: 'Whenever exceptional excellence in art evolves,
    does it evolve in isolation?' I am thinking about Michelangelo and Leonardo.
    They knew each other, and there was a degree of friction between them, with
    Leonardo expressing sculpture as an inferior art to that of painting.
    Is this a recurring theme?

    But to return to your central point regarding degrees of excellence. It is
    there, i think i can agree. But what does this say about me? Do i have to be
    able to become coherent with art in order to be able to value it? If so, why are
    the very best so Universally recognised for their Quality? Very interesting...

    All the best,
    Mark

    Hi Mark, All:

    Mark wrote:
    > Arte is excellence
    > no matter what the field: An excellent physique, an excellence in social
    > art, excellence in intellectual pursuits. It is the excellence -
    Quality,
    > as you rightly point out, which is THE most important thing to
    understand.

    Right on. What's more, there are degrees of excellence. Some artists are
    better than others. For example, in his book "Human Accomplishment,"
    Charles Murray ranks significant figures of excellence in Western Art (in
    descending order) as follows, based on a statistical analysis of the
    opinions of art experts:

    Michelangelo
    Picasso
    Leonardo
    Titian
    Durer
    Rembrandt
    Giotto
    Cezanne
    Rubens
    Caravaggio
    Velazquez
    Donatello
    Van Eyck
    Goya
    Monet
    Masaccio
    Van Gogh
    Gauguin

    However you may rank these artists and others (I personally would lower
    Picasso, raise Velazquez and add Vermeer), you cannot in good conscience
    question the propriety of making such lists and finding agreement among
    experts as to the excellence in accomplishment by certain individuals over
    the rest of us.

    That I as an artist strive to equal the genius of a Vermeer is never in
    doubt; that I will ever do so is doubtful in the extreme.

    Regards,
    Platt