RE: MD Objectivity, Truth and the MOQ

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 09:09:04 GMT

    MOQists

    On 8 Feb. David Buchanan wrote:

    > Matt, Paul and all MOQers:

    > Matt said:
    > Pirsig posited value behind objective and subjective. I take this to
    > mean that he's dissolving the contrast between them. ..This, I think,
    > is his move towards intersubjective agreement. Value, as the
    > dissolving category (if you will), is a continuum of intersubjective
    > agreement.

    Yes, Pirsig of ZMM did just that. In his words "the Quality (event)
    is the cause of subjects and objects". Something that in the
    MOQ means: "The subject becoming aware of objects" ...in other
    words the intellectual perception of Quality - in my opinion.

    However, this does NOT mean a dissolution of the VALUE of the
    S/O contrast, but the dissolution of the metaphysical (SOM)
    contrast. And yes, it does mean a move towards the subjective
    .....if one sees the MOQ as a better "idea" than the SOM "idea" in
    an idea-intellect. I'll explain it farther down.

    > Paul replied:
    > Again I think intersubjective agreement, in the MOQ, translates into
    > varying degrees of social and intellectual quality.

    You don't counter Matt's argument by this. His is that the MOQ
    itself "lock stock and barrel" is part of the "intersubjective" make-
    up, not two static levels.

    > dmb says:
    > I think Paul is right. In the MOQ, intersubjective agreement and the
    > MOQ's top two levels represent two different ideas about the same
    > thing. Further, the kind of value or Quality that gives rise to the
    > static levels is Dynamic and so the assertion that "value..is a
    > continuum of intersubjective agreement" demonstrates a lack of
    > comprehension about Pirisg's most important terms. Without an
    > understanding of these basic Pirsigisms, no comparison to Rorty or any
    > other philosopher is possible. It appears that Matt literally doesn't
    > know what he's talking about.

    Paul is always right .. for DMB ;-). Please report to the bridge
    those who understand the above. Is this the MOQ that children
    are supposed to understand and that ...makes things fabulously
    more simple? As said, in the view that the MOQ is the best
    INTELLECTUAL pattern and SOM a bad one Matt has you
    trapped. The above smokescreeen is useless.

    From ZMM we know that Pirsig identifies his Quality idea with the
    Aretê of the Sophists, thus it is plain that Protagoras' "Man the
    Measure of All Things" must be intimately connected with the
    MOQ and if you posit it as the best intellectual pattern (in the
    idea-intellect) you are back in the bosom of "Mattagoras".

    However, with the MOQ as something beyond intellect, things are
    safe and sound. Intellect's value of "truth over man" (rationality)
    prevails as a static value - immutable as static values are, while
    the MOQ is immune to accusations of subjectivity: It may be
    "man-made" in the sense of having its origin in the intellectual
    level, but not from the "mind" in the RortyanRortyan sense.
    EVERYTHING is now properties of the MOQ.

    This looks more and more like a "re-enactment" of the Ancient
    Greek conflict - just one level higher.

    IMO.
    Bo.