RE: MD Weasel words

From: joan vollmann (todvalley@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 03:41:46 GMT

    David Buchanan <DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org> wrote:Ian and all:

    Ian says:
    Anyway, your preparedness to weasel the semantics out of the distinction
    kind
    of proves Rorty's point. Why cling to the vain hope that words have some
    fundamental semantic distinctions, when you yourself illustrate how easy it
    is to weasel them out.

    dmb replies:
    Huh? Some people are weasels, so words have no meaning? What kind of logic
    is that? I don't mean to be rude, Ian, but that's just nonsense. And who
    said anything about "fundamental semantic distinction"? Not only am I NOT
    clinging to any hope about such a thing, I don't even know what that is.
    Sheesh. I guess there's some kind of virus going around.

    "Fundamental semantic distinction" has many wonderful negative capabilities.