Re: MD SQ-SQ tension in Mozart's Symphony No38

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 13:37:15 GMT

    Hi Mark,

    I don't think a conceptual analysis of Mozart's music (or art in general)
    does much to enhance the aesthetic experience which, in the end, is the
    purpose of creating music in the first place. I agree with Wordsworth who
    wrote:

    Our meddling intellect
    Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things
    We murder to dissect.

    There are certain things, like reality itself, that intellect cannot
    explain. But we understand it anyway.

    Regards,
    Platt