Re: MD Pirsig and Rorty the inadequacies of post modernism

From: joan vollmann (todvalley@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 04:36:46 GMT

    Howdy

    Yes that is the answer I expected you to give and thank you for giving it. It does seem so obvious. But it is not obvious to me that mathematical creations are static. The static representation of a mathematical concept (the printed page) is not the math any more than a pile of Spice Girls records and a match is a fire. If I attempt to follow Andrew Wiles' proof of Fermat, math does not magically happen. A headache happens. In other words math is in the mind. It is an intellectual pattern. I don't believe that intellectual patterns can be static. Even memory. Perhaps this is why mathematicians write things down. And what they write down is not math.

    knee deep in the hoopla,
    TV

    David MOREY <us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    Hi

    Obviously what has been created in mathematics is static
    whilst what is in the process of being created has a dynamic aspect.
    Also, what mathematics can handle has to be static to be described
    mathematically, i.e. inverse square law is a pattern or static as we say in
    these parts.

    regards
    David M