Re: MD The Dynamic/Static resolution.

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 19:58:50 GMT

    Hi Paul

    Good stuff again, I agree that you have pushed Bo's
    ideas into the areas where they fail to work i.e. non-western thought. I
    also
    agree that certain aspects can be salvaged by not exaggerating
    the extent of its application. The heart of what Bo is saying
    is that a certain story about western thought begins in Greece.
    This is the story of SOM as Pirsig tells it. It culminates in the
    power of modern science to understand static patterns at the
    inorganic and organic levels. It breaks down at the lowest
    level of inorganic patterns (quantum patterns) and when science
    tries to deal with less static living, social and thinking levels.
    Whilst SOM has dominated western thinking Pirsig was able to
    find other sorts of thinking at the start of the western tradition
    and in the eastern tradition. There has also been some non
    SOM thinking within the western tradition (somewhat glossed
    over by Pirsig e.g. Schelling, Bergson, Heidegger but he covers Peirce &
    Whitehead
    I think). So to conclude there is clearly plenty of scope for non-SOM
    intellect and
    thinking and I think only Bo thinks otherwise. Bo, I suggest you limit your
    idea to
    its proper extent, i.e. the non-complete dominance (yet still dominant let
    us not
    forget at this enlightened site) of SOM in western thought.

    regards
    David M