Re: MD Beyond

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 14:05:48 GMT

    Hi Jon,

    > In a message dated 3/9/2004 8:22:12 PM Central Standard Time,
    > mattpoot@hotmail.com writes:
    > Also, many of the
    > vehicles being driven are not that bad, and if you have a pickup truck, or
    > an SUV (OH NO!!!) , I dont realllly care, _____As long as you(whoever) uses
    > it!!! ____ SUVs and pickups shouldn't be driven by
    > soccer-moms(stereotype-yet, I witness it multiple times daily) and the
    > like, in urban and suburban areas. I think Pirsig and the MOQ has something
    > to say about this. One of the things that makes American society so dynamic
    > is, well, seeing soccer-moms driving SUVs everyday. I don't see anything
    > wrong with this kind of Dynamic Quality.
    >
    > I also don't really agree with the other sentiments of your post. Earth is
    > not in trouble. This planet is four and a half billion years old. Earth has
    > survived forces that are slightly more damaging than SUVs. I can name some
    > of them: cometary impacts, volcanic eruptions, whole continents moving,
    > violent upheavals too horrible to think of witnessing--Earth survived it
    > all. Human beings are not God. Human beings can not control the weather.
    > Ants have more of an impact on a person's front yard than we do on Earth's
    > environment.
    >
    > Earth takes care of herself.One hundred years seems long to us humans (one
    > hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers, etc), but to
    > the Earth one hundred years is NOTHING. A million years is nothing. Earth
    > lives and breathes on a much vaster scale (to quote a character from
    > Jurassic Park).
    >
    > Soccer moms are like Lila (in a way)--they DO have Quality (and Quality has
    > them). Jon

    I'm with you, Jon. Environmentalists do more harm in good. Example: 2
    million Africans dies every year from malaria which could easily be
    eradicated by use of DDT. But anti-pesticide zealots have convinced the
    World Health Organization to ban DDT.

    Environmentalism is a religion. One of the defining features of religion
    is that your beliefs are not troubled by facts and that you possess some
    great truth denied to the rest of us.

    In my book, radical environmentalists are watermelon Marxists (green
    outside, red inside) out to destroy capitalism and freedom.

    My guess is that Pirsig would put environmentalists in the same category
    as Rigel and others posing as moralists, "Full of great ways for others to
    improve without any expense to themselves." (Lila-7)

    Regards,
    Platt