Re: MD Beyond

From: Ascmjk@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 21:00:44 GMT

    In a message dated 3/9/2004 8:22:12 PM Central Standard Time,
    mattpoot@hotmail.com writes:
    Also, many of the
    vehicles being driven are not that bad, and if you have a pickup truck, or
    an SUV (OH NO!!!) , I dont realllly care, _____As long as you(whoever) uses
    it!!! ____ SUVs and pickups shouldn't be driven by
    soccer-moms(stereotype-yet, I witness it multiple times daily) and the like,
    in urban and suburban areas.
    I think Pirsig and the MOQ has something to say about this. One of the things
    that makes American society so dynamic is, well, seeing soccer-moms driving
    SUVs everyday. I don't see anything wrong with this kind of Dynamic Quality.

    I also don't really agree with the other sentiments of your post. Earth is
    not in trouble. This planet is four and a half billion years old. Earth has
    survived forces that are slightly more damaging than SUVs. I can name some of
    them: cometary impacts, volcanic eruptions, whole continents moving, violent
    upheavals too horrible to think of witnessing--Earth survived it all. Human beings
    are not God. Human beings can not control the weather. Ants have more of an
    impact on a person's front yard than we do on Earth's environment.

    Earth takes care of herself.One hundred years seems long to us humans (one
    hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers, etc), but to the
    Earth one hundred years is NOTHING. A million years is nothing. Earth lives and
    breathes on a much vaster scale (to quote a character from Jurassic Park).

    Soccer moms are like Lila (in a way)--they DO have Quality (and Quality has
    them).
    Jon