Re: MD What is really anthropocentric?

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 21:21:41 GMT

    David,

    David said:
    My point is that to take the ironist position, which is anti-closure, you are making a claim about the irrepressible DQ surrounding whatever SQ you make/find. The point is that our experience always has this DQ/SQ mix and that we cannot finally convert it all to SQ as perhaps Hegel tried to do (on one reading of him). Or: our experience is always on the move, is always beyond final/full conceptual grasp. Rorty seems to be committed to this practically, by his re-readings for example, but I suggest it would be useful to go further and state our acceptance of such an SQ/DQ conception of experience. If you read Heidegger like this you will find it quite interesting. It is what he means by the forgetfulness of Being, take Being for DQ.

    Matt:
    And yet, I still have no idea what anthropocentricity has to do with anti-closure. As far as I can see, nothing, at least nothing that a pragmatist needs.

    Matt