Re: MD SQ-SQ coherence and the Biosphere.

From: Matt poot (mattpoot@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 00:19:05 GMT

    Hello,

    I am interested.

    Platt: Thanks for the clarifications. As to point 1., arguments about the
    causes
    of global warming are very much related to your question. The answer is
    still up in the air. :-)

    Poot: Yes, this question is very much so "up in the air". I agree with you
    (to a certain point), that global warming is hyped up these days. Most
    people attribute this to the greenhouse gasses, but in fact, the most
    dangerous thing is the hole in the ozone layer[caused by things like
    styrofoam, and aerosol], at either pole (especially the south pole). Now,
    the hole on top of ozone layer in the south pole was reaching enormous
    proportions, but it has seemed to reduce in size quite significantly.

    However, recently (how recent I'm not exactly sure), a piece of ice(glacier)
    from antarctica, has broken off and begun to float towards to atlantic.
    This is not really that big of a deal. However, the iceberg just happens to
    be roughly the size of Prince Edward Island (square km): 5, 656 (2,184
    square miles). So, as you can see, it is quite the chunk of ice, on its way
    to commonly used shipping lanes. I don't want to appear to be the alarmist,
    but I think it could turn out to be an ..interesting.. situation.

    Mark: The context within which these examples were introduced was that of
    > > Environmental impact due to prolonged Human activity, and the danger
    >such
    > > activities may pose for future generations of Humans
    Platt: Again, no complete agreement among scientists about such dangers. The
    jury
    is still out.

    Poot:When have scientists (or any other such 'group') ever agreed
    unanimously? By those standards, we should all just do whatever we want,
    without any consideration of the consequences. After all, the jury might
    not be 100% conclusive, right (O.J?)

    This is where I differ most in viewpoints, with you, Platt. I don't
    believe that it is 'best' for us to have the attitude that "well, we don't
    know for sure, but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I find out its
    too late to change". I know that I have to spend the rest of my life (which
    is longer, since I am younger) living on this planet. And then, there will
    be the generation after me. And after them. Etc.

    Platt: I doubt if human activity, no matter how prolonged, will ever impact
    the
    environment more than an errant meteor of some size hitting Los Angeles or
    London.

    Poot: Yes. You may indeed be correct. However, you must remember, that
    the asteroid that hit the earth, nearly extinguished all life on earth.
    Making, however pales in comparison. We have only directly caused the
    extinction of 100's if not 1000's of species, and paved over what once was
    biological. Humans as a whole, have a continuing dynamic effect on the
    biosphere.

    Operating on a purely scientific basis, as a source for guidance, can have
    damaging results. Or , we could find out , that things _are_ really ok? I
    don't want to get into the environmental estrogen business again, b/c my
    input on that subject is 'not relevant' to Quality.

    I have to go.

    Poot

> [...]
    > > simply the sum total of all static patterns of Quality. In the case of
    > > Organic patterns, this is the biosphere. So, Coherent state of the
    >static
    > > repertoire is, in the case of Organic patterns, a description of the
    >beauty
    > > of the biosphere.
    >
    >Beauty for the biosphere is a lot different than beauty for us. It's the
    >level of tooth and claw, kill or be killed. Beauty for this level consists
    >of the four F's: fighting, fleeing, feeding, and f---ing. "Beauty" we
    >ascribe to this level, such as we see in roses, is anthropocentric.
    >
    > > Before Humans evolved to the stage when they could manipulate their
    > > environment, the Earths' biosphere - the repertoire of static Organic
    > > patterns of Quality evolving in the event stream - had reached a
    >beautiful
    > > or coherent state.
    >
    >See comment above.
    >
    > I feel we may fully describe life in this way because
    > > the evolution of life is moral process according to the MoQ. I would
    >argue
    > > that the beauty of the static repertoire, (and this goes for all levels)
    >is
    > > in its diversity, because diversity resonates more vigorously with DQ
    >than
    > > does a limited repertoire. One may wish to consider a limited gene pool
    >as
    > > an example? The more diverse the gene pool of any species, the more able
    >it
    > > is to respond to change?
    >
    >See above about the time when most of the bio-level was wiped out.
    >
    > > 7. Geophysical catastrophe.
    > > An Earthquake, Volcanic activity, Super Volcanic activity, Ice age,
    >Meteor
    > > impacts.
    > >
    > > The context within which these examples were introduced was that of
    > > Environmental impact due to natural processes. If prolonged Human
    >activity
    > > has the potential to disrupt the biosphere to a similar extent to that
    >of
    > > natural processes, then the matter must be examined carefully. Science
    > > cannot defend PBD on aesthetic grounds. The MoQ can, and does i would
    > > argue.
    >
    >I doubt if human activity, no matter how prolonged, will ever impact the
    >environment more than an errant meteor of some size hitting Los Angeles or
    >London.
    >
    > > Hope this clarifies my approach?
    >
    >Thanks for taking the time and trouble to elucidate your views.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Platt
    >

    >MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    >Mail Archives:
    >Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/
    >Nov '02 Onward - http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html
    >MD Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net
    >
    >To unsubscribe from moq_discuss follow the instructions at:

    MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE*
    http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/