Re: MD secular humanism and dynamic quality

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 18:50:30 GMT

    Hi Matt

    What you say seems deeply inaccurate and inconsistent to me.
    Quite simply what are these strange isolated vocabularies that you are
    referring to? Once upon a time we all spoke using metaphors developed
    within a religuious context, then we gained new secular and scientific
    metaphors that have done a great deal to change religious conversation in
    turn.
    Tomorrow the most exciting part of our culture might be some
    new religious metaphors and off we go in a post-secular direction.
    You seem to want to erect artifical barriers hat cultural history shows
    do not and cannot exist. You are too pessimistic about how interlinked
    all our vocabularies are, all religions have lots of different things
    in common, and so do many secular vocabularies with themselves and with
    religious vocabularies, that's why you can get some very odd alliances in
    history and politics as you know. You are putting up a position your
    experience
    will not support if you step back and think about it. It is one great value
    market, the main thing
    is to stop claiming that we can justify our positions in terms of something
    other than value.
    You certainly can't justify me not using any vocabulary I want, sure you can
    say you don't
    understand, but we have that problem all the time anyway. We are bound to
    talk politics based on our
    values, these have many sources, one key one being religion, if we disagree
    about values we are
    probably going to have to understand each others religions to progress our
    dialogue and attempt to
    reach compromise/agreement. In the end I wonder if views like 'being kind to
    each other' or
    'avoiding cruelty' may in fact prove to be shallow, or hard to really make
    sacrifices for.
    But that's another story. You are suggesting we may find more common ground
    on secular ground
    but that is only a contingent matter that may be true today and false
    tomorrow, it is not entirely looking
    like common ground at the moment on a world (rather than a US) basis.

    regards
    David M, from the uniquely secular UK