Re: MD quality religion

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 06:00:22 BST

    On Apr 21, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Wim Nusselder wrote:

    > 'Adherence' is indeed irrelevant and superfluous. 'Religious practice'
    > and
    > 'religious experience' isn't. Choosing a (practical rather than a
    > theoretical) framework is essential for religion (understood as the
    > practice
    > of seeking 'reconnecting' experience). Not choosing a religious
    > 'discipline'
    > is like constantly changing the setup of a scientific experiment: no
    > chance
    > to ever experience 'Truth' in that way.
    > 'Fellowship' is not a means to an end, but part of the 'Way' that is
    > at the
    > same time 'Source' and 'Destination'. It expresses the 'reconnecting'
    > experience.

    Hi Wim. I see it differently. By not "choosing" a religious discipline,
    I am able to see the value in (practically) all religions. The problem
    with the various religions' claim to 'Truth' is that they lay claim to
    'Truth' exclusively of all other worldviews. Not only that, but they do
    not allow one to simply agree that there is truth to their message,
    rather they insist that you believe their specific practice is the only
    method of "connecting" to the 'Truth'.

    I am proud to declare fellowship with people of all religious pursuits,
    and THIS is the kind of fellowship (open, non-exclusionary) that allows
    one to see DQ without a set of cultural blinders on.

    Peace.

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher