Re: MD quality religion

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 22:54:21 BST

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 19 Apr 2004 11:26:05 -0400:
    'I thought I did answer your questions. What am I missing?'

    When I summarized my questions as how do you pursue DQ and how do you know
    it is DQ, you answered 'by gathering in groups at concerts, in museums and
    in the great outdoors. ... I know it's really DQ when I
    experience it shining all around me as my static patterns disappear'.
    As for my original questions of 29 Mar 2004 23:27:30 +0200 (practical
    results? static patterns of value left in DQ's wake? social and intellectual
    patterns induced to migrate towards DQ?), I wasn't really happy with your
    unforthcoming replies of 30 Mar 2004 09:04:19 -0500 ('I'm happy. I have no
    idea. I hope so.') In your posting of 6 Apr 2004 16:07:14 -0400 you more or
    less repeated your answer to the first question as an answer to the second
    question ('Happier, wiser people.') and weren't really more forthcoming with
    your answer to the third ('It operates on both levels and would induce
    migration, you bet.').
    If that is all you can offer as of answers to my questions, than I'll have
    to accept that ... eventually. (-;

    By the way, do I remember correctly that you have been arguing before that
    DQ only operates on the highest static level nowadays?

    Can I interpret 'DQ ... shining all around me as my static patterns
    disappear' in the sense of your quote from Aziz Nasafi, i.e. as light that
    'shines through [static patterns] as through a window'? Does that mean that
    art (creating it or contemplating it?) creates some sort of mystical
    experience in you?

    You wrote that you deny the God of organized religions. That doesn't really
    clarify to me what God you mean.
    Is the alternative to 'organized religion' in your terms a religion without
    social patterns of value or would a religion with (purposefully) minimized
    social patterns of value (like Quakerism) also qualify? In what way would
    the God worshipped by such a better religion have to be different from the
    God of organized religions? Again: as Quakers we DO worship a God that can
    be interpreted as DQ. The static 3rd and 4th level patterns of value that
    define us (and that are necessary as 'springboard' towards DQ) are minimal.
    Quakerism is not unorganized, but its (comparatively limited) organization
    is such that I don't recognize your objections against organized religion as
    valid for Quakerism.

    You wrote:
    'sitting around in a circle waiting for someone to say something doesn't
    work for me'

    Have you tried?

    You continued:
    'The Quaker ritual is SQ wouldn't you say? Does it not lead to the DQ
    experience for some?'

    No, it is not the Quaker method that leads to DQ experience. It is the
    openness to DQ experience that does so. The very austerity and plainness of
    Quaker ways symbolizes for us this need for openness, but they are not
    essential. We recognize the possibility to experience God in/through other
    religious practices and outside religion.