RE: MD Mussolini: Splendid chap.

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 23:47:44 BST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Mark Steven Heyman [mailto:markheyman@infoproconsulting.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 5:44 PM
    To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    Subject: Re: MD Mussolini: Splendid chap.

    On 3 Jun 2004 at 15:22, SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    msh said
        Fascism and big business go hand in hand, from the totalitarian
        structure of corporations, to state supported business subsidy, state
        adventurism and market/resource expansion, state intervention in
        crushing labor movements. It's a match made in heaven.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    Then why does the word "state" pop up so much more often than the
    word "business" in this post? The fact is that any concentration of
    power, minus transparency and accountability, will lead to tyrany.
    Why single out "big business"?

    msh says:
    Because this quote was part of message suggesting that American
    policy toward Fascism, despite the outward label of Isolationist, was
    really quite cozy. Since, as John Dewey suggested, "The government
    is the shadow cast over society by Big Business" (true more so now
    than ever), showing how business might find Fascism attractive
    provides some support for my claim.

    But I agree, any concentration of unaccountable power will lead to
    tyranny. It's just that in the US (and other western powers) there
    is a demonstrable symbiotic relationship between business wealth and
    government, or such would be my position, if anyone wants to pursue
    the thought.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    I'd argue that big business in the form of corporations provides a
    democratic opportunity for shareholders (especially civic-minded
    shareholders like the California state employee pension system
    CALPERS) to take an interest in a company, demand transparency, and
    influence accountability.

    msh says:
    Well, I think we have different views about the reasons corporations
    are formed. You might want to look back over the Moral Evolution of
    Society thread to see some of my ideas. Or maybe not.

    Anyway, as we've seen time and time again over the last century, the
    accountability and transparency of corporations is largely illusory.
     This is by design. In modern corporations, CEOs and other
    executives, BODs, and major stockholders, can be held criminally
    liable for anything they do or say that can be shown to negatively
    impact profit-making, no matter what effect such profit-making has on
    the environment, or individuals, or society as a whole. You might
    want to take a look at a recent book/movie, The Corporation. You can
    google it for links.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    The comingling of state and enterprise is just as bad as the
    comingling of state and religion.

    msh says:
    True. And what I've suggested above is that big business goals and
    the goals of state are inextricably intertwined in the US (and other
    western powers) to the extent that the two are often
    indistinuishable. And to wrap it all round to the original question
    here's the definition of Fascism: "A system of government that
    exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the
    merging of state and business leadership, together with belligerent
    nationalism."
    --American Heritage Dictionary

    BTW: Thanks for the very reasonable questions, and for the calm way
    in which you presented them. It was a pleasure responding.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'