MD Coherence and the situationsists.

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 11:51:30 BST

    The Question of Organization for the Situationist International
    Guy Debord, April 1968
    Translated by Point Blank, 1972

    8. Since we have never considered the SI to be a goal in itself, but as a
    moment of historical activity, the force of things now leads us to prove it. The
    "coherence" of the SI is the relationship, directed towards coherence, between
    all the theses that have been formulated, between them and our action, as
    well as our solidarity on many, but not all, of the questions about which each of
    us must engage the responsibility of others. It cannot be a kind of mastery
    that is guaranteed to anybody, because this person would then gain the
    reputation of having acquired our theoretical bases so well that he [sic] would
    automatically glean an exemplary line of conduct from them. It cannot be a demand
    for an equal excellence of all on all questions or operations, and even less can
    it be a recognition of such excellence.

    9. Coherence is acquired and verified by egalitarian participation in the
    totality of a common practice, which simultaneously reveals mistakes and supplies
    remedies -- this practice requires formal meetings to arrive at decisions,
    the transmission of all information, and the examination of all stated failures.

    Dear Gav,
    I have been thinking about coherence for some time as a relationship of
    static patterns of Quality which best relates to DQ. (The sweet spot.) I have also
    been studying Sartre's Being and Nothingness and Simone DeBouviore's Ethics of
    ambiguity. (I don't know anything about the Situationsists apart from the odd
    comment made by fellow students and friends. I find Sartre fascinating and
    wish to learn more.)

    I feel there is a common thread moving through Pirsig, the situationists and
    my thinking regarding coherence. Do you feel this is worth pursuing?
    I especially feel that coherence taken as a term which describes high Quality
    SQ-SQ tensions forms an MOQ derived basis for situationist goals. It may be
    noticed that such goals are not structured in a SOM sense - they are aimed at
    high level coherence. Perhaps Guy Debord intuitively felt this when he wrote
    the above paragraphs?

    All the best,
    Mark