Re: MD the metaphysics of self-interest

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 13:50:22 BST

    Mel

    > <snip>>
    > >All economics, the production and distribution of
    > >goods and services, is "social quality" is it not?
    >
    > This statement puzzles me somewhat.
    > It seems to hide too much...
    > Taking it apart, it seems that economy is
    > the aggregate behavior of markets,
    > a market is the aggregate behavior of the
    > people and organizations participating in
    > that market (clear enough as "social"),
    > but at the level of people acting it looks
    > different.
    >
    > Creating a production process is an act of
    > dynamic intellect to establishing a static
    > reality of the "intellectual design." The
    > purpose of which is to allow a "society" of
    > workers to act upon the physical resources
    > by way of the system to ensure an efficient,
    > effective, static production requiring little
    > dynamic attention.
    >
    > Service businesses are even more an example
    > of "dynamic" intellectual work. Services are
    > often never repeated in a given situation. (e.g.
    > programing a business specific application.
    > or removing a brain tumor)
    >
    > So there are distinctly intellectual and physical
    > components. Am I over thinking it or do these
    > bear consideration to avoid oversimplifying?

    It appears to me that you are making a plea to recognize individuals as
    individuals (responding to DQ) and not simply as nameless, faceless
    members of some overarching group. If I read you right, you are striking a
    blow at the idea of group identity.

    If so, I agree. That's why I've suggested changing the name of Pirsig's
    Intellectual Level to the Individual Level. Perhaps in that way we can
    better remember that individuals, not groups, do the thinking at the
    highest moral level, and understand the widely held presumption that
    morality is only concerned with human relationships and behaviors at the
    social level is false (according to the MOQ).

    Further, I agree with your view expressed in another post that to blame an
    entire company on the misdeeds of a few is intellectually unsupportable.

    Platt