Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 14:16:37 BST

    Dan,

    > Rather than complaining that others aren't reading your posts, perhaps you
    > should spend a little more time digesting the posts yourself. The story of
    > Buckminster Fuller wasn't meant to evoke sorrow or pity for the man because
    > he didn't make money. The point I meant to make is that no business can
    > survive without earning a profit. I don't care if it's United Airlines or
    > Mom and Pops Donut Hut. That is what business is about!

    Certainly. But the story (and I've reread it this morning several times) was
    laid out in very clear pattern (1) he wanted to do good, (2) he started a
    business to do good, (3) said business failed, then (4) jumping off a bridge.

    I know very well the pain and misery that comes with the collapse of one's
    labor. I know intimately the agonizing psyhological effects of loss of
    employment, especially employment that one has dedicated one's life to.

    I made only two points in repsonse, (1) he (or anyone else) should be proud of
    the good they have done, regardless of the "money" attached, and (2) if a loss
    of his labor drove Fuller to a bridge, how many Tijuanese laborers, and
    laborers in my hometown and across America, are standing on that very bridge
    today?

    Finally, about "profit to survive". I wonder if Coke could survive, earn a
    smaller profit for the executives to be sure, but pay better wages to its labor
    force? Certainly it could, but the "profit" is always grossly unevenly
    distributed (multimillions for the executives, cents an hour to the labor).
    Some would have me believe that the ONLY two options are (1) the gross inequity
    or (2) Communist Russia. I see other alternatives. Do you?

    Arlo

    PS: I've not had any indication, Dan, that you were not "reading my posts". It
    was not a lament at disagreemenet (which you and I may have), it was at
    repeating statements that clearly indicated that the dialogue was not
    progressing (which you and I do not have). In short, disagreement and honest
    misunderstanding are not at issue, they are natural and even desirable, having
    someone say that I think "earning money is not good", or that I must want
    "coersion of honest traders", etc even though I very loudly articulated
    otherwise is what I was lamenting.