LS Mostly Ken and free-will

Ant McWatt (ant11@liverpool.ac.uk)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:55:04 +0100

   Ken Clark wrote (amongst other things)...

> In my view, Quality is the "Force for greater information content in the
> universe" that has resulted in the story of the universe that we have been
> able to piece together. Quality was present at the beginning and was
> responsible for the range of possibilities that were established at the
> beginning.

> Dynamic Quality in the MoQ (after sentience) represents the function that
> makes selections from our ongoing fields of awareness under the influence
> of the instantaneous condition of our static Patterns of Value. This is a
> deterministic function that is effectively non-deterministic because of the
> growing complexity of the urgings of the underlying physical universe and
> is a continually ongoing process. As I see it, DQ is not a goal but simply
> a force that is directed by our individual previously established Static
> Patterns of Value. In this view every individual's truth is different and
> is determined by one's previous individual history.

> In the sense that each individual is progressing toward a better grasp of
> the "story of the universe" then DQ is a moral (towards greater value)
> function.
>
> I've had about all the fun I can stand so I will send this off. Ken

9th September 1998

Ken!

I hope that you are feeling much better.

Just to add to the above, I would say that free-will and
determinism are on the same continuum.

In the case of human beings, we are nearly completed
determined at the inorganic level and nearly completely
free at the intellectual level. At the biological and
social levels we are at increasing levels of freedom (on
this continuum). This is also related to the rate of
change of the levels, the inorganic being very slow, the
intellectual being nearly ephemral, the biological and
social, again being somewhere in-between.

By the way, I very much enjoyed your "A Personal View" on
the forum especially with having lived with dogs most of my
life. Most of them are terrified of thunder and I thought
you made an interesting connection between their fear
and the fear (and wonder) such natural phenomenen must
have engendered in our ancestors. The beginning of our
mythos (and in turn, our logos) no doubt.

Though I rarely comment on your e-mails, they often make me
think and laugh (though not always in that order) so its
good to see you back.

Anthony.

--
homepage - http://www.moq.org/lilasquad