LS Time To Stand and Be Counted

From: RISKYBIZ9@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 00:26:15 BST

ROGER ASKS EVERYONE READING THIS
POST TO ANSWER TWO QUESTIONS

Hey all,

Well, I would say it is about time we actually see how close we can get to a
consensus.

But first, I want to clarify an issue. A few days ago, Bo wrote the
following and I said I agreed with it 100% while Denis called it a wallowing
retreat back to SOM. This occurred in a post where Denis and I were
supposedly arguing the same side. Let me paste the paragraph of note:

Bo:
>When concluding as I will below I appeal to your collective goodwill.
>Theorizing, naming - thinking - about animals and things even about
>thinking itself - is not going on in an abstract sphere about
>something more real in another concrete sphere. Q- INTELLECT IS THE
>ABILITY TO MAKE THE BI-SPHERIC DISTINCTION ITSELF. The highest and
>most valuable stage that evolution has reached - yet.

I read this as Bo saying that the intellectual level is the creator of the
spheres. The distinction makes the 'abstract' and the 'concrete' realms.
This I do agree with 100%. I also agree with Denis though that if Bodvar
meant that the spheres have independent existence and are 'discovered' by the
intellect , that Bo would indeed be prescribing a Cartesian dualism.

Bo?

A key difference in those of us with what I see as the sophist position
(Marco, Denis and me), and those with the Aristotelian position (????) is
CREATION vs DISCOVERY. The sophist position is that man created the levels,
or substance or atoms or whatever. The Aristotelian position is that it was
"out there objectively to be discovered." One position measures the creation
by quality, the other primarily measures the discovery by truth.

So let me ask EVERYBODY that contributed this month, and all the lurkers, two
questions:

1) Are all patterns of value also intellectual patterns?

2) Were the 4 levels of the MOQ discovered or created?

What answer to each of these statements is of highest quality to you?

[ I strongly encourage everybody to reread the past week's exchanges between
Magnus, Bo, Marco, Denis and I before declaring. Sorry in advance for the
"How long have you been beating your wife" nature of the the setup to the
questions, but I couldn't resist. If nothing else, I am laying my assumptions
out there .... ]

Roger

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org