Re: RE: MD Wisconsin School OKs Creationism Teaching

From: Arlo Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 17:26:14 GMT

    Hi Rich,

    At 08:50 AM 11/12/2004, you wrote:
    >Hi Arlo, MSH, others,
    >
    >I can see where you are both coming from, but isn't putting subjects like
    >evolution and Intelligent Design in seperate categories (science,
    >metaphysics, religion) part and parcel of the subject/object
    >stratification that leads to psichic alienation? I see your arguments
    >making sense within a SOM framework, but shouldn't we be discussing the
    >MoQ here?

    I think what I had in mind was a little different, and I'm sorry I did not
    make that clear. One of the biggest problems with the current school
    curriculae is that there is no interrelativity among the courses. Each is
    seen as a discrete "block". This problem leads children to believe that
    history and biology (just to pick two we've been talking about) have
    nothing to say about each other. Untrue. And it makes for a boring, if not
    misleading, approach to learning. Many charter schools are developing and
    using an intergrated curriculum. This is something I have looooong been a
    proponent of.

    So, yes, in the current setting a discrete "metaphysics" course would be of
    course useless, as it would have nothing to apply to, or orient the
    students around. What I had in mind when I mentioned this course as an
    "orienting framework", is that it would most certainly inform the other
    subjects, directly and indirectly, and in some ways could serve as a
    "unifying" course as well.

    That is, students would learn that their metaphysical understandings
    determine their orientations to both history and biology. From here, they
    could examine how a "metaphysical shift" could indeed impact understanding
    in BOTH courses. This level of critical awareness would allow the students
    to "read" biology from a number of metaphysical perspectives (indeed, this
    is what they SHOULD be doing).

    My concern is that (1) placing it soley with the biology course "bounds" it
    to that one field, and reinforces the idea of learning as learning
    unrelated chunks of knowledge, and (2) there is hardly amply time or room
    in the biology curriculum to cover metaphysics seriously, and this could
    either lead to the dominance of one particular metaphysical approach, or
    the complete dilution of them all.

    In this, I am in full support of abolishing the boundedness of school
    subjects, but I would like it done in such a way as to not reinforce that
    boundedness, nor give moral dominance (or incomplete consideration) to any
    one metaphysical approach.

    Arlo