Re: MD Materialism and DQ

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 02:45:43 BST

    Hi Reinier, (and Paul, Matt, Scott),

    Reinier said:
    I've tried to discuss this before but it soon drifted to a different
    topic.

    msh 7-19-05:
    I wouldn't mind moving the discussion in your direction, because I
    think you're on to something here.

    On 19 Jul 2005 at 11:23, Reinier wrote:

    I guess it's agreed by Scott and Paul that 'time'and 'space' are
    intellectual patterns. In my opinion, they're just that, and they
    don't link to the 'time' and 'space' that all sentient beings
    'experience'. They're an intellectual pattern just as 'a pink
    elephant with 9 legs and 3 eyes' is an intellectual pattern. One can
    talk about it, one has a mental image of it but it reflects nothing
    from perceived reality.

    msh 7-19-05:
    Yes. How important is it that we "understand" space and time as
    intellectual patterns, when everyone's experience of same, every day,
    is a hell-of-a-lot more concrete?

    I'm not denigrating Scott, Paul's, Matt's contributions here, as I
    greatly respect their opinions and have learned a lot from all of
    them. But my eyes tend to glaze over when I begin to detect an
    inordinate amount of angel-on-pinhead counting going on. The activist
    in me always wants to know how such speculation can be useful in
    ameliorating real misery experienced by real creatures in the real
    world. I know some of you extreme Buddhist's out there believe that
    misery is an illusion that can be overcome by enlightenment, but
    please indulge me.

    Reinier:
    Time and space are never directly experienced, so they are no stattic-
    quality pattern on any level. They sort of are the follow-up of us
    experiencing change and organic and inorganic static quality. They're
    the minds sollution to deal with that.

    msh 7-19-05:
    Agree. But what you call "follow-up" I call rational inference. Time
    and space are inferred from experience, and rational inferences are
    valuable in day-to-day existence.

    Reinier:
    With DQ and SQ being all there is, there's no need for space. With SQ
    really being DQ in disguise, there's no need for time.

    msh 7-19-05:
    I don't understand this, and will wait for more input.

    Thanks,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why,
    why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he
    understand." - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle