Re: MD Pirsig the postmodernist?

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 16:43:46 GMT

    Platt, to Matt:

    >These "other people" deciding what you should think is what gets me. It
    >makes the "Emperor's New Clothes" story the criteria for what's real.
    >
    > > This is why pragmatists replace
    > > the Tribunal of Reason with a Tribunal of People. Only other people are
    > > involved in judging our beliefs and actions.
    >
    >See what I mean? You, the individual, are incapable of knowing what to
    >believe and how to act. Only others can tell you, paving the way for Big
    >Brother and the Brave New World.
    >
    >Thanks Matt. You've made my case.
    >
    >Platt

    I don't think Matt has a problem believing what he believes. It would be
    mighty hard to avoid that. What he's talking about those times that really
    matter: when people disagree about what is true. How does one confirm what
    they believe to be true execpt by confirming it with other people? We are
    talking to other people right now, aren't we? And please, if you are not
    wearing clothes, at least say you are wearing clothes and we'll go along
    with that.

    Johnny.