Re: MD Pirsig the postmodernist?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 20:13:26 GMT

    Johnny, Matt:

    > I don't think Matt has a problem believing what he believes. It would be
    > mighty hard to avoid that.

    Yes, it sure would. He seems to have no problem with believing
    postmodernism is true, although postmodernism denies truth. You've
    identified another postmodern claim that refutes itself, illustrating once
    again the irrationality of the postmodern posture.

    >What he's talking about those times that really
    > matter: when people disagree about what is true. How does one confirm what
    > they believe to be true execpt by confirming it with other people? We are
    > talking to other people right now, aren't we?

    Are you saying that postmodernism has value only when there is
    disagreement about what is true? If so, this presupposes that there is
    such a thing as "the truth" which, if I understand what Matt has been
    saying, is what postmodernists deny.

    To paraphrase Alice in Wonderland, "Postmodernism just gets
    curiouser and curiouser."

    Platt