MD Quality events and the levels

From: Paul Turner (pauljturner@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 13:37:16 BST

    Hi all

    In my quest for clarity I've gone back to basics, I've
    been re-reading ZMM and Lila together.

    PIRSIG: ‘He simply meant that at the cutting edge of
    time, before an object can be distinguished, there
    must be a kind of non-intellectual awareness, which he
    had called awareness of Quality. You can’t be aware
    that you’ve seen a tree until after you’ve seen the
    tree, and between the instant of vision and instant of
    awareness there must be a time lag. We sometimes think
    of that time-lag as unimportant, but there’s no
    justification for thinking that the time lag is
    unimportant – none whatsoever’ ZMM Ch 20

    In ZMM, Pirsig spends a lot of time emphasising
    ‘non-intellectual awareness’, the time-lag. He also
    makes an observation that intellectuals usually have
    the greatest trouble ‘seeing’ Quality because they are
    so ‘swift’ in snapping everything into intellectual
    form.

    I think the time-lag can be better understood as a
    part of the whole Quality event. My understanding of
    the 'anthropocentric' Quality event is this:

    1. The Quality event creates a response
    2. The response is to value by something with agency;
    both are created by the Quality event
    3. Action (or no action) is taken by the something
    with agency

    If we look back at the Quality event with the MoQ
    terms created in Lila, the time-lag is magnified.
    There is not just pre-intellectual awareness; there is
    pre-social awareness, pre-biological awareness and
    perhaps a pre-inorganic awareness.

    The evolutionary hierarchy can be applied to the
    Quality event. In this way we can consider the Quality
    event as happening from the bottom up, in terms of the
    hierarchy. To see how this works:

    1. To all Quality events, the first response is
    inorganic through an agency of pre-sensory perception.
    2. The second response is biological through an agency
    of sensory and emotional perception
    3. The third response is social through an agency of
    symbolic and cultural perception
    4. The fourth response is intellectual through an
    agency of aesthetic and rational perception
    5. Each level of response filters the Quality that
    makes its way up to the next level

    Seen in this way, the movement off the hot stove can
    happen at the inorganic and biological level – the
    value which may be perceived at a pre-sensory level as
    an atomic excitation is passed up to the biological
    level, which perceives the value as low down in the
    ‘pain/pleasure’ scale of analogous sensations, which
    creates a highly complex organic ‘move away’ response
    and perhaps a release of energy in sound waves which
    is perceived at the social level as ‘a scream of pain’
    and finally is explained by the intellectual level as
    ‘PAUL sitting on a HOT STOVE’.

    Taking this further, you can see how ‘agency’ may be
    seen as ‘consciousness’ which exists at all levels,
    the consciousness at the lower levels has become
    largely the human subconscious but has not always been
    that way.

    This all happens so swiftly that the first ‘conscious
    awareness’ for a human is generally of the
    intellectual response, but it is the last level to
    respond! If we could slow the Quality event down,
    perhaps we could ‘experience’ the way that it works.
    It’s like the whole of evolution recurring in every
    Quality event! The human being pops up at the end.

    In this way, 'thoughts' can only ever be 'about' what
    has been filtered through all other levels and can
    only reach other levels through the social level. They
    cannot 'think' directly of Dynamic Quality. Only
    analogues of analogues of analogues. That describes
    what my thinking feels like most of the time :-)

    Indeed, I feel that the analogues created at the
    intellectual level have cut us off from almost all of
    what was once a conscious holistic response to
    Quality. (I have in mind something similar to
    Barfield’s ‘original participation’ of phenomena) But
    the MoQ provides us with a far better set of analogues
    than SOM.

    Anyway, is the Quality event seen in this way by
    others? If not, tell me where I’ve gone wrong.

    Cheers

    Paul

    Yahoo! Plus
    For a better Internet experience