Re: MD Quality events and the levels

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 13:33:32 BST

    Hi Squonk

    > The Metaphysics of Quality is a work of intellectual
    > art. All universities
    > should teach the MoQ IMHO. It may be the case that
    > in doing so, many students
    > find there is allot less to say and very much more
    > to just sitting. They can
    > then forget about the MoQ. How fashionable would
    > that be?!

    Yeah, try to put the MoQ to sleep, the new Zen method,
    I like that.

    > The Quality event may be seen
    > as a coalescence in that
    > tension dissipates and ease reigns? Horse and rider?
    > Art requires that we
    > loose ourselves. And if everything is art, then we
    > become a barrier to its
    > execution? What do you think?

    I think you've turned the Quality event on its head,
    see:

    My interpretation is that the Quality event is the
    differentiation of the undifferentiated - distinct
    patterns emerge from the unpatterned

    sq: I agree. But your question is whether the, 'View from within' is a
    general assumption of the MoQ, which requires 'the Quality event.' Pirsig
    never used that term, rather, he says, 'DQ is a stream of Quality events...'
    A stream of Quality events (DQ) is not the same as the Quality event. DQ may
    produce a 'view from within' which is a transient barrier to harmonious
    being. In short, i don't think about the Quality event anymore, because there
    are no subjects and objects for me anymore.
    Your anthropocentric leaning may be the best way to pursue a MoQ. SODV
    certainly gives that impression, but can we brake away from extension by
    analogy?

    Your interpretation (as I see it) is that the Quality
    event is the coalescence of the differentiated -
    distinct patterns merge in a new pattern

    sq: The term, 'Quality event' is problematic. I rather wish Skutvik had not
    chosen it for the title of his treatise. But he did, and now it is has gained
    currency. If we attend to what Pirsig has said, then we discover that he did
    not use the term. I may be making a dreadful mistake, but i simply don't
    think of the Quality event anymore. I think about DQ, and how it points
    towards the One.

    You see our different perspectives? Now, a classic SOM
    view may see this as a paradox, pick one or the other.
    But I think both are right at the same time.

    The Quality event is at once a coalescence and a
    differentiation. If you pick one answer you lose the
    insight of the other. Lila has Quality and Quality has
    Lila. As Mr Herrigel lamented: 'Is "It" spiritual when
    seen by the eyes of the body, and corporeal when seen
    by the eyes of the spirit-or both or neither?'

    sq: Yes, i see what you are saying. Returning to the One must be a
    coalescence of sorts? That which is differentiated becomes undifferentiated.
    However, that which is differentiated emerged from the undifferentiated.

    > sq: I don't view DQ and SQ as a polarity.

    Polarity as in known-unknown, particle-wave,
    static-Dynamic. One completes the other. Not dichotomy
    like subject-object or true-false.

    sq: I get you. I think of polarity in terms of opposites and not
    complimentarities, although poles may compliment.

    > Many
    > things may be said of SQ but
    > nothing may be said of DQ.

    Well, I see that DQ cannot be defined but it may be
    described. In a way, all of SQ once described DQ?

    sq: As i understand it, DQ is concept free. I don't know if all of SQ once
    described DQ? DQ is a-temporal, so there are problems with that i feel?

    > sq: This is giving me problems. I think the problem
    > lies in my thinking that
    > agency implies causation; Agents are causally
    > related centres of action?

    Perhaps agency is a loaded term. I was using it in the
    sense that meant the opposite of causation in that it
    represents the ability to exercise and act on a
    preference without specific authority or permission.
    But the point is that whilst it is easy for us to
    grasp our own ability to make choices (free will v
    determinism platypi notwithstanding), seeing this as a
    universal and ubiquitous ability is a major departure
    from classical causation but is a key assumption in
    the MoQ. From the ability to make choices arises the
    question of good and bad choices, or morality, good
    choices are moral. Everything makes choices in the
    MoQ. That's my point.

    sq: Free will may be a matter of letting go of static patterns? In this
    sense, letting go is rather like returning to the One - coalescence. Opening
    up to DQ.

    > sq: Can only say what i say, but certainly hope it
    > helps? You inspire
    > patience, and i hope for your patience also Paul.
    > Maybe you have a better way
    > of looking at all this than i do? That is a very
    > exciting prospect. Thank
    > you.

    Likewise

    Thanks

    Paul

    sq: Very stimulating stuff. If our views are complimentary, i should spend
    some time on the flip side and get the complimentary view. Many thanks.
    squonk