Re: [Spam] Re: MD immoral irony?????

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 23:31:13 BST

    Hi all,

    On 25 Jun 2004 at 15:23, Dan Glover wrote:

    someone said:
    >By the same token, I cannot intellectually close the door on
    >investigations of racial differences that meet Pirsig's tests for
    >truth -- logical consistency, agreement with experience, and economy
    >of explanation. To do so would violate the spirit of scientific
    >inquiry and the MOQ itself.

    dan said:
    I think so too.

    msh says:
    And this brings us back to the question of scientific evidence in
    favor of the idea that "race" is a valid and useful construct. The
    OVERWHELMING evidence, as I believe I pointed out, is that the
    concept involves a social distinction based on superficial
    appearances. A distinction made for some pretty ugly reasons, and
    none of them scientific.

    Therefore, I see no logical consistency, agreement with experience,
    or economy of explanation in clinging to race-based explanations of
    human intelligence and behavior. I can, however, envision social
    reasons for such tenacity.

    Thanks,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'